History of Mount Carmel Rotary

MOUNT CARMEL ROTARY CLUB
FORMED IN 1920

A brief summation of a story in the Mount Carmel Item states..."A number of Mount Carmel representative citizens met at the Marble Hall Hotel at Third and Oak Streets and organized a Mount Carmel Rotary Club, an organization which any person can be proud of being affiliated with and which, in the course of the future, it is expected, will benefit the town in many ways."

The club was sponsored by the Shamokin Rotary Club. Shamokin Rotarians present to assist in the formation of the Mount Carmel Club were Past Presidents Emil Sanner, Edward Schrawder, Frank Gable and President Frank Fisher. District Attorney Charles K. Morganroth gave an appropriate address on the origin of the association. The newly formed "Rotary Club of Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania" became one of 760 clubs in the United States and many more scattered throughout 12 other nations. The first officers of the club were: President, A. R. Harris; Vice President, Clem Schneider; Secretary, William R. Irvin; Treasurer, P. A. Vought; Sergeant-at-Arms, Robert Davis; Board of Directors, P. A. Vought, W. M. Yeingst, Dr. J. P. Morrison, George H. Keefer and A. L. Landis. Just imagine the excitement when the members were told they would be club # 775 of Rotary!

Charter members of the club were: Charles Bolich, John Carl, B. F. Christ, Robert Davis, Attorney W. B. Faust, Thomas Fegley, C. A. Gable, William Grossman, Warren Geist, A. R. Harris, William R. Irvin, W. P. Kemble, George H. Keefer, William Keefer, A. L. Landis, Dr. James. P. Morrison, C. E. McGhee, C. F. Reinard, Clem Schneider, Bernard Strauss, George W. Scott, W. A. Seitzinger, George Wardrop, Attorney P. A. Vought and William Yeingst.

The actual charter presentation was made by John F. Rudisill, York, PA., Governor of the Fifth Rotarian District, during ceremonies held on Thursday, November 18, 1920. In the presence of about one hundred Rotarians and guests from Shamokin, Milton, York, Allentown and Berwick, President A. L. Harris accepted the charter for the Mount Carmel Rotary Club.

One of the early meetings of the club was held at HERNDON where the members were treated to a chicken and waffle supper served by the ladies of the combined Lutheran and Reformed churches. Members met at Third and Oak Streets at 6 o'clock in the evening and traveled by automobile to the site.

Perhaps prophetic were the words of the newspaper editor who summed up Rotary's organization with these words, - "Rotary is now firmly launched and has become a Mount Carmel Institution. The club is composed of men who will try to be a pattern for others. They are banded together to promote and support every good movement. The club will grow in numbers and in influence and its power for good will increase as its great principles become better known". The concept of Rotary grew in Mount Carmel and the club completed some great projects. The members took the role of leaders and acted with energy and creative thinking. Before we knew it, Club 775 had contributed to some very worthwhile endeavors: some for individuals, some for short term and long term programs for the community, district, and Rotary International. Yes, Paul Harris and his friends would be pleased to see how far-reaching their idea has come.

Mount Carmel Rotary is proud of its history and is proud of being part of an organization of some thirty-one thousand clubs with 1.2 million business and professional leaders in more than 165 countries  Rotary International provides humanitarian service, encourages high ethical standards and building goodwill and peace in the world.


Back to ROTARY Page